The ICU at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center consists of 3 teams, each comprised of an attending physician, one resident (PGY-2/3), and one intern (PGY-1). Residents take overnight call every 3 days, while interns switch between a period of day shifts as the primary intern and a short period of night shifts.
Before You Start
- Review the ICU Orientation Powerpoint
- Review your schedule on AMION, including ICU team assignment, call days, and days off. You should average one day off per week.
- If not previously done so, watch orchid training videos and complete online assessment: http://www.uclaoliveview.org/orchidtraining
- Expect an email from the Chief Residents, which will include hand-off assignments and the AMION password.
- One day prior to your rotation, contact the outgoing housestaff for sign-out. You can find contact information in the email or AMION.
When You Start
- Receive hand-off from the overnight ICU team in the ICU (5B-North and 5B-South).
- Plan to complete pre-rounding by 8:00am in order to attend orientation or morning lecture.
- If you’re a new rotator, you should expect orientation by the ICU fellow or attending.
- Make sure your pager is unforwarded!