The general medicine ward service at Olive View-UCLA Medical Center consists of 8 teams, each comprised of an attending physician, one resident (PGY-2/3), at least two interns (PGY-1), and usually a medical student. Admissions are accepted on an 8-day call cycle with Long call being every 8 days. Most patients are admitted through the Emergency Department.
Goals & Objectives
Before You Start
- Check amion to verify your schedule as recent changes may have been made.
- Read the Wards Orientation Packet prior to arriving for details of the rotation
- If not previously done so, watch orchid training videos and complete online assessment: http://www.uclaoliveview.org/orchidtraining
- Expect an email from the Chief Residents, which will include hand-off assignments and the AMION password.
- One day prior to your rotation, contact the outgoing housestaff for sign-out. You can find contact information in the email or AMION.
When You Start
- If you’re a new rotator, come meet and get oriented with the Chief Residents, at 7:30am in the Chief’s Office in 5D-103
- If you’re an intern, be sure to receive hand-off from the overnight cross-cover by meeting the Night Float Intern in the physician area in the Housestaff Lounge 2C160 (7:00-7:30am)
- If you’re a resident and admitting (on call), check for new admissions to your team by meeting the Hospitalist Attending by or before 8:00am in the Hospitalist Room in ED 3 (purple) in the Emergency Department on the 2nd floor (the room is near the old OBS Unit, between the purple area and TB unit).
- Make sure your pager is unforwarded!
- On the day you leave: Please make sure to return the following to the chiefs office (or housestaff lounge next to printer)
- Parking pass
- Parking Hangtag
- MedHub: Please complete you evaluations on your OV MedHub account. Please contact Gus Chavez (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any questions about MedHub
- Interdisplinary Rounds take place every day, Monday through Friday, and involves the primary medical team, utilization management, social worker, outpatient pharmacist, and representative from PT/OT/ST. The room and time assignments are listed below:
Team Workroom Location Interdisplinary Rounding Time A 4D-107 10:00 AM B 4D-107 10:15 AM C 4D-127 10:00 AM D 4D-127 10:15 AM E 5C-106 10:30 AM F 5C-106 10:45 AM G 5D-107 10:30 AM H 5D-107 10:45 AM
- Certain antibiotics are restricted to ID approval, however you can still get the first dose without approval
- For personal items there are 2 lockers assigned to each team. Please come by the chiefs office to get the code if you would like to use them.